Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shipping season begins

Where I come from you know that summer is just around the corner when the icebreakers make way for the large ships on Lake Superior. This week I had heard that the first ocean going vessel of the year (The Federal Saguenay) had arrived in port to officially kick off the international shipping season here in Thunder Bay.

I decided it might be a worthwhile trip to head down in the early morning and check it out for some shots...











As usual lately, the above 5 shots were all taken from the same 10 foot patch of shoreline using my ultra capable Tamron AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO. It's a fantastic lens and has made my others obsolete.

Since I was out and had some time to play around, I figured the scene was a good candidate to practice a technique that I rarely employ and to be honest, have never really been good at. I figured I'd attempt some HDR. The next two shots are both HDR versions and I have to say I was pleasently surprised by my results...



No comments: