Saturday, December 6, 2008

New Toys

I love getting new toys. Some of them I get because I just want them, others I get because I need them. In this case it was the latter, I needed a new lens. A good walk around lens that can handle pretty much whatever I need it to do.

After plenty of homework on the topic (I never buy a piece of equipment without reading everything I can on it and it's possible competition) I opted for the Tamron AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO instead of the Nikkor 18-200mm VR.


















The lens, from Adorama.com, is an all in one super telephoto zoom and is brand new on the market. It is capable of handling everything from wide angle to macro all the way through super telephoto all in one remarkably tight little package, and a decent looking lens to boot.
I'm also pretty excited to try out the VC (vibration compensation) feature which should make handheld telephoto shots a lot easier and reduce the blur caused by camera shake from drinking too much coffee (my last zoom had no vibration reduction feature and only performed well either tripod mounted or in very bright daylight situations, other than that and the shots were almost always blurry). Don't be a cheap ass, buy a lens that has some sort of VR or VC if you're in the market. You won't regret it.

Havent had any time to field test this lens yet but can't wait for my chance to get it outdoors.

No comments: